Author Topic: Bikes standing..  (Read 2457 times)

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Bikes standing..
« on: December 19, 2010, 03:01:03 PM »
Just to say that due to the recent cold spell my bike has been standing idle for about a month now.  I started it  and engaged first gear to move it and there was quite a snatch from the clutch the first time as the plates had started to bind.  It just goes to show that regular running is really worthwhile, if it had been standing much longer the clutch may completely have bound up meaning a strip down to free it.  Luckily, however, the engine started perfectly.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Bikes standing..
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 03:26:28 PM »
Usually rocking them back and forward in gear, engine off, clutch pulled gets the plates to unstick if they've been sitting around for a while.

Was out on my CBX750 friday and got caught in the snow, bit tricky getting back as roads where covered but was wearing flares!! so all ok, just like in the eighties.

Battery has trouble in this cold to start it though sometimes a bump is required then ok as it's warmed up.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 09:37:19 AM »
I put a brand new tyre on the front of my (black) 500 last April. I left it on the sidestand in the barn over the summer but when I took it out in Sept it was exhibiting a severe front wheel wobble.

The tyre had deformed in the heat of July/Aug in the barn and is now
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 10:29:07 AM »
Usually rocking them back and forward in gear, engine off, clutch pulled gets the plates to unstick if they've been sitting around for a while.

Was out on my CBX750 friday and got caught in the snow, bit tricky getting back as roads where covered but was wearing flares!! so all ok, just like in the eighties.

Battery has trouble in this cold to start it though sometimes a bump is required then ok as it's warmed up.

I am sure I have seen a Government information film advocating the wearing of flares on motorcycles.  In fact, it was a legal requirement at one point.

There's so much snow today I'm not even contemplating taking the Land Rover out.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 11:35:24 AM »
Along with metalflake paint on customised veee-hicles, and go to work on an egg information short films!!

Think the flares added something to bike stability of the period, they may have been testing them at the TRRL (just round the corner from you steveD) before the great leg shield fiasco  ;)

Mmmmm women in flared jeans.............. and cap sleeve T shirts, but that's another story altogether.

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 11:44:59 AM »
Seventies motorcycle design also took into account the "Watneys Party Seven Effect", becoming more and more stable the more one consumed.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 12:41:51 PM »
Assuming that you could:

a) open the bloody thing (I remember using screwdrivers)
b) get the "beer" out once you'd pierced it
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 12:42:59 PM »
... and even if you could it tasted disgusting.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 06:59:49 AM »
Course it did it was Watneys!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal