SOHC.co.uk Forums > SOHC Singles & Twins

First start up

<< < (2/6) > >>

Laverda Dave:
I would expect to see a bit more oil in the oil bath below the cams if the engine has been running for 3-4 minutes. Did the top end sound rattly when first started and did it quieten down after the oil began to circulate or did it sound the same? I am not really experienced with these engines but if one side of the head has more oil than the other I would be concerned the oil jet on one side is restricted and not delivering the correct amount of oil to that side.

The cam chain is picking up oil from the bottom of the engine as it goes around the crankshaft sprocket and it could be splashing oil at the top end as it comes back up to the camshaft. The oil filter is also in the bottom end where oil pressure is likely to be unrestricted.

It will be very messy but I’d be tempted to run the engine on the starter motor in short bursts with the rocker cover (and fuel tank) taken off and see if the oil is reaching the top end.

Laverda Dave:
I've just noticed the oil seal is not on the end of the camshaft, did it fall off when you took the rocker cover off?

Craizeehair:

--- Quote from: Laverda Dave on May 26, 2024, 05:06:48 PM ---I've just noticed the oil seal is not on the end of the camshaft, did it fall off when you took the rocker cover off?

--- End quote ---
Yes, that’s to one side for now

Laverda Dave:
Is that instant gasket on the rocker cover? There appears to be a lot of gasket debris on the edges of the mating surfaces and into the threads. You didn't use liquid gasket on the crankcase to barrel joints did you because that can be squeezed into the oilways and block them and that could well be your problem. Likewise if loose instant gasket debris floats around in the sump it can be picked up by the oil pump and sent up the oilways and create a blockage at the restrictor jets.

Craizeehair:
That’s hondabond, I only used it on the rocker cover. If it looks excessive I might have been a little heavy handed but the oil looked ok when I dropped it and the filter screen was ok, so hopefully it can’t do much harm there?

I did crank it with the top off as you said and I’m sure there is oil getting to there as it started to spill over ends by the camshaft. I’m quietly confident that there is some oil getting there but is it enough? 

I’m going to sleep on it but I may go with it for now and do a full rebuild in the winter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version